Monday, July 27, 2020

BOER Commandos, Sarie Marais

Boer Commandos

Sarie Marais is as South African as boerewors and braai, and yet it is known globally.

I have personally heard it sung in French during Bastille Day celebrations in Tahiti: heard it played on bagpipes: and of course being an ex Commando – heard the Royal Marines version.

It is believed that the origins of this famous South African song dates back to the Boer War of 1899-1902.   In those days, the Boer Commandos (who seldom numbered more than 20-30 men on horseback) used to sing the American tune "Ellie Rhee" as part of their repertoire.

Apparently, one Mrs. De Wet, wife of a well-known Boer general, wanted to see her husband, who was fighting in the Province of Natal.  Such was the gallantry in those days that she was graciously allowed passage through British lines to join her husband.

One evening, whilst she was playing "Ellie Rhee" on the piano, the Boer Commandoes decided to see whether they could change the words into Afrikaans, something more suited to their home tongue.  The end result of this effort was a song with different words and a slightly altered tune.

The song itself became famous as a Boer song and in later years was translated into English, Italian, French, and German.  It has also been adopted as the regimental march for the Royal Marine Commandos and used as a French Foreign Legion marching chant.

Even today, the song is synonymous with South Africa. Perhaps the song touches the deepest human feelings when the singers are far from South Africa - at home it is a jolly dance tune - in exile it is the very essence of the longing which a homesick South African knows when he thinks of the land of his birth.


Africaan Lyrics:

My Sarie Marais is so vêr van my hart,
Maar’k hoop om haar weer te sien.
Sy het in die wyk van die Mooirivier gewoon,
Nog voor die oorlog het begin.

Chorus:
O bring my t’rug na die ou Transvaal,
Daar waar my Sarie woon.
Daar onder in die mielies
By die groen doringboom,
Daar woon my Sarie Marais.

Ek was so bang dat die Kakies my sou vang
En vêr oor die see wegstuur;
Toe vlug ek na die kant van die Upington se sand
Daar onder langs die Grootrivier.

Chorus:

Die Kakies is mos net soos ‘n krokodillepes,
Hulle sleep jou altyd water toe;
Hul gooi jou op ‘n skip vir ‘n lange, lange trip,
Die josie weet waarnatoe.

Chorus:

Verlossing het gekom en die huis toe gaan was daar,
Terug na die ou Transvaal;
My lieflingspersoon sal seker ook daar wees
Om my met ‘n kus te beloon.

Chorus:

English translation:

My Sarie Marais is so far from my heart,
And I'm longing to see her again,
She lived on a farm on the Mooi Rivers bank'
Before I left on this campaign

Chorus

Oh! Bring me back to the old Transvaal
That’s where I long to be
Way yonder mongst the mealies by the green thorny tree
Sarie is waiting for me

Chorus

I feared that the Khaskis would get hold of me,
They would send me away o'er the sea,
I fled overland to the Orange River sand,
In Upington I would be free.

Chorus

At last there was peace and I started for home,
To the Transvaal I've always adored,
My Sarie Marais will be uniting there for me'
Her kiss will be my best reward.

Chorus

Sarie Marais - Bagpipes
Royal Marines Commando March
French Foreign Legion Chant
Jim Reeves - Sarie Marais

No comments:

Post a Comment

San Juan, Puerto Rico

San Juan, the capital of Puerto Rico, is the oldest city on US territory. Isla de Cabras - a former leper colony. My arrival ...